By Brigitta Melendy, Esthetician
Micro-needling has 2 main benefits:
1. Stimulates epidermal growth factors to boost collagen and elastin that plump and firm skin.
2. Enhances the benefit of skin care products by creating ‘channels’ in the skin to support increased penetration of products.
Your micro-needle unit will need to be REPLACED - depending on the quality of your unit’’s needle and the frequency of use. The needles will become dull and become significantly less effective. ALL NEEDLES ARE NOT THE SAME - be sure to purchase your unit from a doctor's office or your esthetic professional.
Micro-needling works best with serums that have active ingredients such as RETINOLS, ANTIOXIDANTS (VITAMIN C&E), STEM CELLS & PEPTIDES, GROWTH FACTORS and HYALURONIC ACID. These are the types of ingredients that will really maximize the effects of micro-needling to stimulate collagen, speed up cell turnover, lift hyper-pigmentation, smooth out fine lines, firm, plump and hydrate. Other benefits you can enjoy from micro-needling include a decrease dryness, fine lines, sun damage, acne scars, and age spots.
We sell products that compliment micro needling. Prices range from $59-100. Our needling unit prices are $100 or $275 - They stainless steel surgical grade needles - size 0.1 mm -0.2 mm
Micro-needling using .01-.3mm needles are pain free and highly effective for home use with no downtime and results are seen instantly. You can also combine micro-needling with a LIGHT PEEL prior to the dermal rolling once a week to optimize your results. The benefit to this is even greater exfoliation and uptake of nutrients. Another enhancer is adding professional LED treatments. LED stimulates collage and elastin production.
However, to get these great results you have to micro-needle correctly and safely. Below I have written a few of my simple steps for you to follow as you begin your home care micro-needling treatments.
1: The most important thing when micro-needling at home is to use a device with needles no larger than .3mm. These needles are small enough that your micro-needling experience will be pain free yet still highly effective. Needle sizes of .5mm or greater should be used by a professional. Be sure to
2. Make sure to always purchase your device from a reputable source or medical office. Know your source and only shop from reputable places.
3. For optimal results, use the device 3-5 times a week. You can even use it everyday.
4. Never micro-needle over acne or open sores. This could spread bacteria around the face. Only micro-needle over the same area 2-3 times in one session.
5. Always apply your SERUM both before and after you micro-needle for maximum absorption
Proper Needling/Rolling Technique
1. Cleanse and tone
2. Apply serum
3. Gently roll over skin vertically, horizontally and diagonally, rolling 1 time in each direction over each side of face, chin, lips, forehead and neck.
4. Apply a 2nd layer of serum and you can layer a retinol cream or night moisturizer. (read our Blog on Vitamin A and our STEP UP SYSTEM)
5. Apply moisturizer and a *mineral sunscreen during the day.
6. Sterilize the roller after each use in 91% alcohol or our Micro-needle cleaner, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and then allow to air dry before storing in its container. It is recommended to store the device in the original container to ensure it remains clean.
*A superior mineral sunscreen’s active ingredient will be Zinc, Zinc Oxide or Titanium. It is important to note the percentage of the mineral in your sunscreen. It is recommended the percentage of zinc or zinc oxide be 10% or above for proper protection.
BEFORE AND AFTER